Benefits Plans - Retirement Savings Plans: How to synchronize your 457(b) & sra for the same paycheck
Why Do this
You may want to enroll or change your existing 457(b) and SRA contribution in the same paycheck. For example, you may want to increase one while decreasing the other, with both changes taking effect in the same paycheck so your net pay does not change. However, there are different effective dates for each plan and you have to carefully coordinate your elections to get the 457(b) and SRA to take effect with the same paycheck.
You will need to create two events on Self Service > Benefits to get a 457(b) election and an SRA election to take effect with the same paycheck. The first event is for the 457(b) and the second is for the SRA.
Since you can only create, finalize, and submit one event per day, this process will require two separate days to complete.
Do not wait until the last few days of the month to make your two elections to get your 457(b) and SRA effective with the same paycheck. In case you make an error, corrections cannot be made after the deadlines, and you will not be able to make any further events until the next available election period.
You will need to carefully refer to the date range chart in the links below when creating the two events and entering your elections in order to have both the 457(b) and SRA synchronized to the same available paycheck.
If you create the SRA event and the 457(b) event early in the month, the SRA may take effect that same month while the 457(b) won’t take effect until the following month.
Since you have already created one event for the SRA, you cannot create another to move the SRA effective date to the following month to coincide with the 457(b).
Your SRA and 457(b) will now start in two different paychecks.
Please note: Employee Self-Service on Wolverine Access will be unavailable from 5 p.m. Thursday, May 30 to 7 a.m. on Monday, June 3.
Limitations on Effective Dates
- When you go to Wolverine Access and use Self Service > Benefits and then select Initiate Ret Savings Election you are creating an event that allows you to enter your enrollment or change your contribution.
- The date you create the event determines the effective date and which paycheck your enrollment or change will take effect. As a reminder, you only have 24 hours after you create an event to finalize and submit your election choices.
- Not all bi-weekly paychecks may have both the 457(b) and SRA take effect at the same time due to differences in effective dates of the plans. Please refer to the bi-weekly pay chart.
- The 457(b) is always effective the month after youselectInitiate Ret Savings Election.
- You may use Self Service > Benefits only once per month to make an election for the 457(b) regardless if you are paid monthly or bi-weekly.
- The SRA may be effective during the same month or it may be effective the following month, depending on when you create the event.
- You may use Self Service > Benefits once per pay period to make an election for the Basic Retirement Savings Plan and/or the SRA.
The University of Michigan in its sole discretion may modify, amend, or terminate the benefits provided with respect to any individual receiving benefits, including active employees, retirees, and their dependents. Although the university has elected to provide these benefits this year, no individual has a vested right to any of the benefits provided. Nothing in these materials gives any individual the right to continued benefits beyond the time the university modifies, amends, or terminates the benefit. Anyone seeking or accepting any of the benefits provided will be deemed to have accepted the terms of the benefits programs and the university's right to modify, amend or terminate them.