Benefits Plans - Flexible Spending Accounts: PayFlex/healthhub Card

About Your PayFlex/HealthHub FSA Debit Card

PayFlex is the university's Flexible Spending Account administrator and will mail a debit card to new enrollees in the plan. If you are enrolled in a Health Care FSA and do not received your new HealthHub debit card, call the SSC Contact Center at 734-615-2000 local or 866-647-7657 toll free.

Activating Your PayFlex Card

If you receive a PayFlex card with an activation label, you must activate the card before you can use it. Cards issued before May 1, 2013 were pre-activated. Follow the instructions on the label to activate your card. See Activating Your PayFlex Card (PDF) for more information.


PayFlex Debit CardThe PayFlex/HealthHub Card

The HealthHub debit card can only be used for eligible health care expenses. If you are only enrolled in a Dependent Care FSA, you will not receive a HealthHub debit card.

The PayFlex/HealthHub Card is similar to a debit card
because it electronically accesses your healthcare account to
pay for eligible expenses. You can use the card at qualified
merchant locations where MasterCard is accepted. The
PayFlex/HealthHub Card is accepted at healthcare merchants
as well as non-healthcare merchants who have implemented
an inventory information approval system (IIAS). Qualified merchants include physician and dental offices, hospitals, mail order prescription vendors, hearing and vision care providers. The card can also be used at discount stores, grocery stores, and pharmacies, provided the merchant has implemented an IIAS.

It is important you keep all itemized receipts and Explanation of Benefits (EOBs) in the event the information is requested by PayFlex/HealthHub to comply with IRS regulations. An itemized receipt includes the date of purchase or service, name of merchant or service provider, description of product or service and amount of purchase. You could receive a letter from PayFlex/HealthHub requesting documentation of
an expense, which would require you to submit this information to comply with IRS regulations.

Your PayFlex/HealthHub Card is valid for at least a three-year period so you may not receive a new card when you re-enroll in the program. Please refer to the expiration date printed on your PayFlex/HealthHub Card. A new card will automatically be mailed to you prior to your card’s expiration date.

Important: Request itemized receipts when you pay for eligible medical expenses with your PayFlex/HealthHub Card and save them. PayFlex will require this documentation to substantiate your claim. If an itemized receipt cannot be provided, you may be requested to pay back the amount you were reimbursed.

For more information on the PayFlex/HealthHub debit card, see Spending made simple with HealthHub (PDF)

Note: The PayFlex/HealthHub Care is not available for Dependent Care FSAs.


Using Your Card

Where you can use your card
Use your card at locations where you typically receive health care goods and services. These include co-pays, office visits, over-the-counter medications and other out-of-pocket expenses not paid for by your health insurance, provided they accept Visa debit cards. Health care examples include:

  • Physicians’ offices
  • Hospitals
  • Pharmacies
  • Vision centers
  • Dentists

Where you cannot use your card
The card should not be used at locations that do not supply qualified spending account services or products. Examples include but are not limited to:

  • Restaurants
  • Home improvement centers
  • Book stores

You cannot use your card to purchase of over-the-counter medications
You cannot use an FSA debit card to pay for over-the-counter (OTC) medications. You will need to submit a prescription from your doctor along with your receipt to PayFlex to obtain a reimbursement for an OTC medication from your Health Care FSA. Visit the PayFlex/HealthHub website for a list of eligible expenses, including those for which you cannot use your PayFlex/HealthHub card.


How to use your card

  • Use the card to pay for eligible health care expenses.
  • Select “credit” when/if prompted. Because there is no personal identification number (PIN) assigned to this card, you cannot select “debit”.
  • Pay for non-eligible expenses separately.
  • Be sure to request itemized receipts and save all of your receipts. PayFlex will ask you to verify your card transactions at a later date.
  • Do not return a paper FSA reimbursement claim form for expenses you pay for with your spending account card.


Paying for non-qualified expenses

Only eligible items may be purchased with the PayFlex/HealthHub Card. You should pay for non-qualified expense items separately. For example, if you’re purchasing prescription medication along with personal items such as toothpaste and bath soap, you’ll need to pay for the personal items with another form of payment.

Paying for eligible items if the card is not accepted

If you cannot use the card because the merchant does not accept MasterCard, or the merchant is not categorized as an allowable service provider, simply pay using another form of payment and submit a request for reimbursement.

IMPORTANT: Save all of your receipts and other documentation!

The IRS requires spending account administrators to validate that all card transactions are used for eligible expenses. In most instances, PayFlex is able to automatically validate your purchase, but in certain circumstances PayFlex will request that you fax or mail a copy of your itemized receipt. Failure to submit requested receipts could result in suspension of your card and you may be asked to pay back the amount you were reimbursed. So remember, please save your receipts.


Frequently Asked Questions

Q. When can I start using my Card?
A. You may begin using the card at the beginning of the plan year once funds have been made available and after you have activated (PDF) and signed the card. See Activating your PayFlex Card (PDF) for more information.

Q. Will I get a new card each year?
A. No, but you will receive a new card before your current card expires.

Q. How many cards are issued for each family?
A. Initially, one card is issued per family. If additional cards are needed, contact PayFlex/HealthHub.

Q. Where can I obtain a complete list of eligible expenses?
A. You may only use your card for health care expenses. You may not use the card for dependent care expenses. Click here to view a list of Eligible Healthcare Expenses.

Q. Can I use the PayFlex/HealthHub Card for over-the-counter (OTC) medicines?
A. No. Due to recent changes to IRS regulations you may not use your PayFlex/HealthHub Card for purchases of OTC medicines.

Q. What should I do if I receive services from a person or facility that doesn’t accept the card?
A. Pay for the expense by other means, and then file a claim.

Q. My card did not work when I tried to use it. What could be the problem?
A. There are a few possibilities:

  • You received a new card that you have not activated. Cards issued prior to May 1, 2013 were pre-activated. If you receive a PayFlex card with an activation label, you must activate the card before using it for the first time. See Activating Your PayFlex Card (PDF) for more information.
  • You selected “debit” when you swiped the card. You must select “credit” when using it to make purchases because you do not have a personal identification number (PIN);
  • The merchant is not classified as a qualified spending account service provider (e.g., book store);
  • Your purchase is not eligible or covered by your employer’s plan. Examples include magazines, cosmetics or vitamins;
  • You do not have sufficient funds in your account to cover the purchase; or
  • Your card has been suspended temporarily due to problems validating certain expenses you’ve paid with the card previously.

If you’re unable to use the card for your purchase, you may pay for the expense with another form of payment and then submit a claim.

Q. What if the amount of my expense is greater than my account balance?
A. If there are insufficient funds to cover the entire expense, the transaction will be declined. Pay the entire amount with another payment method and then submit a claim.

Q. Can I use the Card to purchase items, such as prescription drugs and contact lenses, by mail order or online?
A. Yes. Simply enter your card number and expiration date as you would when purchasing online with a credit card.

Q. Where do I report a lost or stolen card?
A. To report a lost or stolen card, call PayFlex/HealthHub toll-free at 877-343-1346.

Q. Where can I view my account balance?
A. Login to your account on to view your account balance.


Next: Filing Claims for Flexible Spending

The University of Michigan in its sole discretion may modify, amend, or terminate the benefits provided with respect to any individual receiving benefits, including active employees, retirees, and their dependents. Although the university has elected to provide these benefits this year, no individual has a vested right to any of the benefits provided. Nothing in these materials gives any individual the right to continued benefits beyond the time the university modifies, amends, or terminates the benefit. Anyone seeking or accepting any of the benefits provided will be deemed to have accepted the terms of the benefits programs and the university's right to modify, amend or terminate them.