Benefits Plans - Group Life Insurance: Dependent Life Insurance Plan

The group term Dependent Life Insurance Plan, also referred to as the "Dependent Plan," is available for your spouse or other qualified adult and any eligible children. You must be enrolled in the University Life Insurance Plan in order to enroll in the Dependent Plan.

Your Spouse or Other Qualified Adult

Your spouse or other qualified adult can enroll in the Dependent Plan at any time. He or she will need to provide satisfactory evidence of insurability (health statement). Coverage will go into effect when (1) the Dependent Plan application is received in the Benefits Office and (2) satisfactory evidence of insurability has been received and approved.

Your Dependent Children

No health statement is required to enroll children in the Dependent Plan. Children may be enrolled in the Dependent Plan at any time.

Dependent Plan coverage for newborns will go into effect at age 15 days or when the Dependent Plan application is received, whichever is later.


Enrollment Form

You can download the Dependent Life Insurance Plan application form from this site.

Your Monthly Costs

View Dependent Life Insurance Rates for the cost per month for this plan.


When you enroll in the Dependent Plan, you do not need to designate a beneficiary. You are automatically the beneficiary. If both you and your dependent die, life insurance will be payable to the first of the following:

  • Your surviving spouse/OQA;
  • Surviving children in equal shares;
  • Surviving parents in equal shares;
  • Surviving siblings in equal shares;
  • Estate

Continuation of Coverage

If your dependent has been enrolled in the Dependent Life Insurance plan, you have the option to convert life insurance for your dependent when coverage ends because:

  • you cease to be in an eligible class;
  • your employment ends;
  • the group policy ends, provided your dependent has been insured for at least five years; or
  • the dependent ceases to qualify as an eligible dependent


Terminating Coverage

You can terminate dependent coverage at any time. To do so, complete a Group Life Insurance Withdrawal Form available for download from this site or from any Benefits Office.

Dependent Spouse/Other Qualified Adult Plan coverage terminates when the faculty or staff member retires, terminates employment with the University for any reason, or dies.

Dependent Spouse Plan coverage will terminate the date the faculty or staff member’s divorce is final.

Coverage for your eligible dependent child or children ends at the end of the month in which the child turns age 26.

You must notify the Benefits Office in writing when you no longer have a child eligible for benefits. There is no continuation or conversion privilege for this coverage.

For More Information

View the University Group Term Life Insurance Plans (PDF) book for plan details. If you have questions about the life insurance plans, call the SSC Contact Center at 734-615-2000 or toll-free at 1-866-647-7657 before electing this coverage.


The University of Michigan in its sole discretion may modify, amend, or terminate the benefits provided with respect to any individual receiving benefits, including active employees, retirees, and their dependents. Although the university has elected to provide these benefits this year, no individual has a vested right to any of the benefits provided. Nothing in these materials gives any individual the right to continued benefits beyond the time the university modifies, amends, or terminates the benefit. Anyone seeking or accepting any of the benefits provided will be deemed to have accepted the terms of the benefits programs and the university's right to modify, amend or terminate them.