Life Events - Termination

If your employment terminates, for whatever reason, you need to know what happens to your benefits.

U-M Health Plan, Dental, and Vision Plans

University coverage for U-M Health Plan, the Dental plan, and the Vision plan, ends on the last day of the month that you terminate your employment, unless your last day is the first day of the month, in which case your U-M health coverage ends that day. For example, if you terminate August 15, your U-M health plan coverage will end on August 31. If you terminate August 1, your U-M health plan coverage will end on August 1.


The Consolidated Omnibus Budget Reconciliation Act of 1985 (COBRA) is a federal law that allows you to continue coverage at your own cost for up to 18 months. Following your termination, COBRA enrollment materials will be sent to your last known home address. Update your address with the university prior to your employment end date. Send an email to or call the SSC Contact Center. See the COBRA section for more information.

Long-Term Disability

Long-Term Disability coverage ends on your last day of employment.

Group Life Insurance

University Life and Optional Life end on the last day of the month in which employment terminates; however, if the subscriber's death occurs within 31 days after insurance ends (during the 31-day conversion period), benefits will be paid. Dependent life insurance ends at the end of the month in which employment ends.

You may be able to convert all or part of your life insurance to an individual policy. See Conversion Privileges for information on obtaining an individual life insurance policy.

Basic Retirement Plan

The money that you have invested in TIAA-CREF and Fidelity for your basic retirement plans remains invested with those companies until you become eligible to withdraw the money.

See the Cash Withdrawals section for information on the available options for cashing out retirement contributions once you have terminated your employment with the university.

Supplemental Retirement Accounts (SRAs)

If you have contributed to an SRA with either TIAA-CREF or Fidelity, you can cash out or rollover the funds at any age after your university employment terminates.

Long-Term Care

All questions should be addressed to the insurance company that administers your long-term care plan.

  • Call MetLife at 800-638-5433, Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., Eastern Time.
  • Call the John Hancock Group Long-term Care Call Center at 888-231-4324, Monday through Friday, from 8:30 a.m. to 6:30 p.m., Eastern Time.

Legal Plan

Legal plan enrollment ends on the last day of the month in which your employment terminates. You can convert to an individual plan. Contact Hyatt Legal Plans at 800-821-6400.

Health Care Flexible Spending Account

The Health Care Flexible Spending Account can be continued for up to 18 months on an aftertax basis under the provisions of COBRA. To continue coverage, you must complete and return the COBRA Election Form within 60 days of the date stamped on the form.

If you have a balance in your account after you terminate, payment of claims will be based on eligible expenses incurred on or prior to the last day of the month in which you terminated. If you have questions, call the SSC Contact Center at 5-2000 from the Ann Arbor campus, 734-615-2000 locally, or 866-647-7657 toll free, Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.

Dependent Care Flexible Spending Account

Dependent Care Flexible Spending Account participants may continue to submit reimbursement requests for eligible expenses incurred before the end of the calendar year. Payment of claims will be based on the balance in the participant's account.

Credit for University of Michigan Employment to Retire from the State of Michigan