Life Events - medicaid/chip (children's Health Insurance Program)

Gain or Loss of Eligibility for Medicaid/CHIP

When you experience a change that results in a gain or loss of eligibility for Medicaid/CHIP*, you may be able to make certain adjustments to your benefits correlating to your status change within 60 days.

Effective April 1, 2009, the Children’s Health Insurance Program Reauthorization Act of 2009 ("CHIPRA") adds two new special enrollment events.  You or your dependent(s) will be permitted to enroll or cancel coverage in the university’s sponsored health plan coverage in either of the following circumstances:

  1. You or your dependent’s Medicaid or state Children’s Health Insurance Program ("CHIP") coverage is canceled due to a loss of eligibility.  You must request to enroll in U-M’s group health plan within sixty (60) days from the date you or your dependent loses coverage.
  2. You or your dependent(s) enrolls in Medicaid or the state CHIP.  You may cancel coverage in U-M’s group health plan within sixty (60) days of your or your dependent’s coverage effective date.

To make a change to your university’s benefits plans please complete and submit a Benefits Enrollment/Change Form (PDF) along with your documentation of the change within sixty (60) days after gaining or losing coverage in Medicaid or the state CHIP program.  Your change will be effective as of the event date.

For further details on Medicaid or Michigan's CHIP program, visit the Michigan Department of Community Health website or call 888-988-6300 toll-free.

If you have any questions regarding your eligibility for U-M benefits, call the SSC HR Contact Center at 5-2000 from the Ann Arbor campus, 734-615-2000 locally, or 866-647-7657 toll free, Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.

* The state Children’s Health Insurance Program in Michigan is called MIChild.

Premium Assistance Programs

If you live outside of Michigan, you are entitled to the same special enrollment events discussed above, but you may be eligible for assistance paying your employer health plan premiums if you live in a state offering a premium assistance program. Many states use premium assistance programs to enhance health insurance rates by subsidizing employer premiums. Premium assistance programs are targeted at low‐income families and typically use Medicaid or State Children’s Health Insurance Program (SCHIP) funds.

If you or your dependents are already enrolled in Medicaid or CHIP and you live in a state listed below, you can contact your state Medicaid or CHIP office to find out if premium assistance is available. 

If you or your dependents are NOT currently enrolled in Medicaid or CHIP, and you think you or any of your dependents might be eligible for either of these programs, you can contact your state Medicaid or CHIP office, or dial 1-877-KIDS NOW or visit to find out how to apply.  If you qualify, you can ask the state if it has a program that might help you pay the premiums for an employer-sponsored plan. 

Once it is determined that you or your dependents are eligible for premium assistance under Medicaid or CHIP, your employer’s health plan is required to permit you and your dependents to enroll in the plan—as long as you and your dependents are eligible, but not already enrolled in the employer’s plan—and you must request coverage within sixty (60) days of being determined eligible for premium assistance. 

If you live in one of the following states, you may be eligible for assistance paying your employer health plan premiums.  The following list of states is current as of July 31, 2012.  You should contact your state for further information on eligibility.

ALABAMA – Medicaid

Phone: 1-855-692-5447


Phone: 603-271-5218


ALASKA – Medicaid

Phone (Outside of Anchorage):

Phone (Anchorage): 907-269-6529

NEW JERSEY – Medicaid and CHIP

Medicaid Website:

Medicaid Phone: 1-800-356-1561

CHIP Website:

CHIP Phone: 1-800-701-0710




Phone (Outside of Maricopa County): 1-877-764-5437

Phone (Maricopa County): 602-417-5437

NEW YORK – Medicaid

Phone: 1-800-541-2831



COLORADO – Medicaid and CHIP

Medicaid Website:

Medicaid Phone (In state):

Medicaid Phone (Out of state):




Phone:  919-855-4100

FLORIDA – Medicaid

Phone: 1-877-357-3268



Phone: 1-800-755-2604

GEORGIA – Medicaid
Click on Programs, then Medicaid, then Health Insurance Premium Payment (HIPP)

Phone: 1-800-869-1150

OKLAHOMA – Medicaid and CHIP

Phone: 1-888-365-3742




IDAHO – Medicaid and CHIP

Medicaid Phone: 1-800-926-2588

CHIP Website:

CHIP Phone: 1-800-926-2588

OREGON – Medicaid and CHIP

Phone: 1-877-314-5678



INDIANA – Medicaid

Phone: 1-800-889-9948


Phone: 1-800-692-7462


IOWA – Medicaid

Phone: 1-888-346-9562


Phone: 401-462-5300



KANSAS – Medicaid

Phone: 1-800-792-4884


Phone: 1-888-549-0820

KENTUCKY – Medicaid

Phone: 1-800-635-2570



LOUISIANA – Medicaid

Phone: 1-888-695-2447

TEXAS – Medicaid

Phone: 1-800-440-0493

MAINE – Medicaid

Phone: 1-800-977-6740

TTY: 1-800-977-6741

UTAH – Medicaid and CHIP

Phone: 1-866-435-7414


Medicaid & CHIP Website:

Medicaid & CHIP Phone: 1-800-462-1120

VERMONT– Medicaid

Phone: 1-800-250-8427



MINNESOTA – Medicaid
Click on Health Care, then Medical Assistance

Phone: 1-800-657-3739

VIRGINIA – Medicaid and CHIP

Medicaid Website:

Medicaid Phone:  1-800-432-5924

CHIP Website:

CHIP Phone: 1-866-873-2647

MISSOURI – Medicaid

Phone: 573-751-2005


Phone:  1-800-562-3022 ext. 15473

MONTANA – Medicaid

Phone: 1-800-694-3084


1-877-598-5820, HMS Third Party Liability

NEBRASKA – Medicaid

Phone: 1-800-383-4278

WISCONSIN - Medicaid


NEVADA – Medicaid

Medicaid Website:

Medicaid Phone: 1-800-992-0900

WYOMING - Medicaid

1- 307-777-7531

To see if any more states have added a premium assistance program since July 31, 2012, or for more information on special enrollment rights, you can contact either:

U.S. Department of Labor
Employee Benefits Security Administration
1-866-444-EBSA (3272)

U.S. Department of Health and Human Services
lefts for Medicare & Medicaid Services 
1-877-267-2323, Ext. 61565

Insure Kids

To find state-specific information about Medicaid and CHIP go to Programs in Your State or call 1-877 KIDS NOW (1-877-543-7669) to be connected directly to your state’s program. The call is free and confidential.