Life Events - Getting Married
This qualified change in status allows you to make changes to and enroll in benefits mid-year. The benefits affected by marriage are listed below.
You have 30 days from the date of your marriage to add your new dependent to your benefits coverage. To enroll, go to Self Service > Benefits on Wolverine Access. Select Initiate Life Events and follow the instructions. Click the enroll box on the Enroll Your Dependents section on the plan page for this dependent to add them to your benefit plan.
If you do not enroll your new dependent within the 30-day deadline, you must wait until the next available Open Enrollment period to make changes to your benefits enrollments with the changes effective on January 1.
You may add your new dependent to the following benefit plans:
- Health, Dental, and Vision Plans
You will be allowed to add your new dependent to the U-M health plan, dental plan option, or vision plan in which you are enrolled.
- Dependent Group Term Life Insurance
If not previously enrolled, marriage allows you to newly enroll in this benefit.
You may also need to update:
- Your beneficiary designation. You must complete separate beneficiary designation forms for your life insurance plan and for your TIAA-CREF and/or Fidelity retirement savings investments.
- Your address, phone number, and emergency contact information. Go to Wolverine Access and select the Faculty & Staff tab, and then select Employee Self-Service to log in, and then select Campus Personal Information.
- Your federal and state W-4 tax withholding information. Go to Wolverine Access and select Faculty & Staff tab, and select Employee Self-Service to log in, and then select Payroll and Compensation.
If you have any questions about adding your new spouse to your benefits, call the SSC HR Contact Center at 5-2000 from the Ann Arbor campus, 734-615-2000 locally, or 866-647-7657 toll free, Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.