Life Events - dependent entering the country

This qualified change in status will allow you to make changes to and enroll in benefits mid-year. The benefits affected are listed below.

Important Deadline

You have 30 days from the date your dependent enters the country to add your dependent to your benefits coverage. To enroll, go to Self Service > Benefits on Wolverine Access. Select Initiate Life Events and follow the instructions. Click the enroll box on the Enroll Your Dependents section on the plan page for this dependent to add them to your benefit plan.

If you do not enroll your dependent within the 30-day deadline, you must wait until the next available Open Enrollment period to make changes to your benefits enrollments.
You may add your dependent to the following benefit plans:

  • Medical Plans
    You will be allowed to add your dependent to each U-M medical plan in which you are enrolled (health plan, dental, vision).


If you have any questions about adding your dependent to your benefits, call the SSC Contact Center at 5-2000 from the Ann Arbor campus, 734-615-2000 locally, or 866-647-7657 toll free, Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.


The University of Michigan in its sole discretion may modify, amend, or terminate the benefits provided with respect to any individual receiving benefits, including active employees, retirees, and their dependents. Although the university has elected to provide these benefits this year, no individual has a vested right to any of the benefits provided. Nothing in these materials gives any individual the right to continued benefits beyond the time the university modifies, amends, or terminates the benefit. Anyone seeking or accepting any of the benefits provided will be deemed to have accepted the terms of the benefits programs and the university's right to modify, amend or terminate them.