Life Events - Death of a Family Member

Notify the University of Michigan about your loss as quickly as possible. You may call the SSC Contact Center at 734-615-2000 or 1-866-647-7657 (toll free), Monday through Friday, from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.

The Contact Center Representative will need to know if the deceased was an active or retired university employee or a dependent of a university employee or retiree. It is also helpful if you have the following information available when you call:
  • Social Security Number of the deceased
  • Date of death
  • Name of next of kin
  • Address and phone number of next of kin

Once the death has been reported, a Benefits Counselor will review the benefits in which the deceased employee, retiree, or dependent had been enrolled and will contact you by mail.


Continuation of Benefits for Survivors of Active Faculty or Staff Members

Continuation of Benefits for Survivors of Retired Facult of Staff Members