HEALTH CARE ELIGIBILITY FOR CHILDREN
This email is an update on the impact of the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (health care reform law) and how it will affect health care eligibility for children of University of Michigan employees and retirees effective January 1, 2011.
What you need to know
Effective January 1, 2011, the U-M health plans will allow eligible faculty, staff and retirees with children or stepchildren up to the age of 26 to enroll them as dependents for health care coverage. This change means your child or the child of your spouse or OQA, up to the age of 26, can remain in or be re-enrolled in your U-M health care coverage. The health care reform law removes all previous and current eligibility requirements for coverage.
Your children or stepchildren can be enrolled, even if they are:
- Not enrolled in school
- Not financially dependent on or residing with their parents.
In order to be eligible for coverage under your benefits, a dependent child must meet all of these requirements:
- The dependent is your child by birth or adoption, your stepchild, or the child of your other qualified adult (OQA),
- The dependent is not eligible for health benefits through his or her own employer, and
- The dependent is under the age of 26 (coverage ends at the end of the month the dependent turns age 26)
Details on this change in eligibility were included in the What's New for 2011 section of the Open Enrollment information for faculty, staff, and retirees.
If you have a child who qualifies, here’s what you need to do:
- If you added a child age 19 to 26 to your benefits during Open Enrollment, you will receive an Affidavit of Eligibility in the mail. Complete and return the affidavit by December 3, 2010 along with a copy of the birth certificate or adoption decree for each child you wish to enroll.
- If the child is eligible but not added to your benefits coverage, enroll by December 3.
If you have children who are eligible for coverage but you did not add them to your health care coverage during Open Enrollment, you still have an opportunity for enrollment. Follow these steps:
1. Download and complete the Dependent Enrollment Form/Affidavit.
2. Return your completed and signed form, along with a copy of the birth certificate or adoption decree for each child you wish to enroll, to the HRRIS Benefits Transaction Team by December 3, 2010.
Coverage is effective January 1, 2011.
- Consult with a benefits representative in the HR/Payroll Service Center by calling 5-2000 (Ann Arbor campus), 734-615-2000 (local or off-campus), or 866-647-7657 (toll-free for off-campus long-distance calling), Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.